Tips for transporting a king-size mattress
Moving advice - December 29, 2019
Most of us went through the relocation process at least one time in our lives. Therefore, we know how exhausting and stressful the moving process can be. And even if we get residential movers assistance, we will still have to take care of our kids, our pets, arrangements, canceling or transferring our utilities, searching for a job and so on. Transporting a king-size mattress is a part of every household relocation. If you are planning to relocate on your own, you will definitely need some tips on transporting a king-size mattress to your new lovely home. So, let’s begin!
Transporting A King-Size Mattress – How To Do It Properly!
No matter if you want it or not, you will eventually have to go through the moving process. Whether you are moving because you have found a better place to live, or because your job requires it, you will need moving assistance, and movers Leicester MA are the best choice for you. However, if you invested a lot of money in your sleep surface, you will most likely want to take it with you, right? If you are planning on transporting a king-size mattress on your own without damaging it beyond repair, you should continue reading this article.
What Do You Need For Transporting A King-Size Mattress?
It really doesn’t matter how do you choose to transport your mattress nowadays. A professional moving company will know how to protect and transport your mattress without any problem. But, you can also transport your mattress on your own. There are a lot of useful things on the market that are available to help you keep your mattress well-protected and clean during the relocation. These are the things you might need in order to transport your king-size mattress safely:
- A Helping Hand. Ask your friends and family for help. It’s not easy to lift, pack, secure and load a huge mattress on your own.
- Mattress Bag. This bag is definitely worth buying! It’s cheap and fabulous and it will protect your mattress perfectly!
Steps For Transporting A King-Size Mattress
Whether you are preparing for a long-distance or a local move if you want to transport your king-size mattress fast and efficiently, you should follow these five steps.
- Create A Place To Work
- Use The Mattress Bag Properly
- Always Secure The Mattress Bag
- Load Mattress In A Vehicle
- Secure The Mattress
Create A Place To Work
Since mattresses are kinda awkward to pack, protect and carry, you will need a workplace to get it properly and well-protected. You should remove the mattress from the bed frame and put it up against the wall. When you disassemble the bed frame, you will have whole floor space for packing and protecting your mattress. However, packing your mattress in a small area brings you the risk of tearing the bag or not getting tape over openings without noticing.
Use The Mattress Bag Properly
As we previously mentioned, buying a mattress bag is the best investment if you are trying to transport a king-size mattress on your own. It’s cheap and fabulous and it will protect the whole mattress without exceptions. You won’t have to worry about openings and did you cover everything with packing tape. The mattress will slide in the mattress bag and fit in there perfectly. The mattress bag will protect your mattress from dirt and dust during the transport.
Always Secure The Mattress Bag
Your mattress will perfectly fit into the mattress bag. After that, you should make sure to secure the mattress bag properly. How to do it? Use the packing tape all around the mattress to make sure that it’s sealed and secured. It’s also good to run the packing tape over the mattress a few more times. Run the tape over the mattress bag on the middle and then third of the way up from the top and/or bottom. Don’t forget to press the air out of the bag! And since you are, most likely, relocating your whole household, you will find these room-by-room packing tips useful!
Load Mattress In A Vehicle
How you gonna load your mattress in the vehicle depends on the type of the vehicle and the size of the mattress.
- Van or Truck. The mattress should lay down flat against a solid surface or stay upright flat against the side of the vehicle wall. To prevent the damages on your mattress, you should avoid placing items with sharp points or angles up to or on the mattress. Heavy, narrow and hard-surfaced items can also cause damage.
- Pickup. Usually, pickup vehicles will be able to accommodate a queen size mattress, as well as anything smaller than that. Even if not, it is most likely possible to rest the mattress upon the wheel wells. If your bed is king-size, however, you may need to lean it against the side of the vehicle. You may even need to bring the tailgate down. Also, there shouldn’t be anything above or below the mattress that is in transport. This is in part to avoid any punctures to your mattress and to reduce the risk to plastic parts.
- Car. First of all, before you go with this plan, you will have to take into consideration the size of the car and mattress. But, if you are planning to transport the king-size mattress on top of your car and your car is big enough to handle that, then you should place it up there carefully to prevent the bag from getting ripped on luggage racks that you have.
Secure The Mattress
Once you’ve finished with loading your mattress into or onto the vehicle for transport, you will have to secure it properly. To prevent your mattress from slipping and sliding, you should use ratchet straps (they are very affordable) and make sure to have them well tightened down. You can also use a durable poly rope too!
This was a guide for transporting a king-size mattress with ease! Take care of your belongings and have a good move!