Grunts Move Junk and Moving's response to COVID-19CLICK HERE

In-home fire hazards you should look out for

Decluttering Tips - November 12, 2019

When you say the word “home”, you instantly have a feeling of closeness, warmth, security, and calmness. Buying a home is often financially difficult, but these make it all worthwhile. However, sometimes we work too much or are too busy with our daily tasks to really think about what it means to have a secure home. Home improvement is not a one-time thing, it never has been. Work on improving safety should be done with the changes in your home, and seasons. One of the most common occurrences are house fires. In most cases, the leading in-home fire hazards are bad electrical installations and too much clutter in the house. The cost of junk removal service, and proper safety measures are nothing compared to the cost you might face of losing your beloved home.

several power switches mounted on a wall
Bad wiring and insulation is one of the leading causes of house fires

This is why it is important to recognize these fire hazards and react on time. A house fire takes two minutes to spread, and the longer it burns, the harder it is to stop it. If you have any built-up junk, consider dumpster rental MA and get to cleaning.  Where there is fire, there is also smoke. Two or three breaths of toxic fumes are enough to render you unconscious. A combination of these two can have lethal effects. However, things are not that grim. With our little guide, you will be able to spot problems in advance and make your home a warm and secure place.

Clutter in the home is an accident waiting to happen

room full of clutter
Rooms full of clutter and papers are accidents waiting to happen

Built-up junk is a giant contributor to house fires, as mentioned above. This is why it’s important to know when to declutter your home. The danger usually looms in basements and attics, where people usually store things that they don’t often use. Stacked cardboard boxes or newspapers stored in the garage need just one spark to catch fire. If there are things you rarely or never use, consider throwing them away or giving them to someone who may find a better use for them.

Extension cords are common in-home fire hazards

Careless use of electronic appliances, overloaded extension cords, and bad connections can all cause the wire insulation to melt and spark a flame.  Bad wiring and outlet overload are the cause of house fires in approximately 15% of all cases. Any loose outlets can cause the cables to wiggle and potentially arc which can lead to a fire. Because of this, make sure to buy quality extension cords and outlets with good insulation and grounding, and do your best not to overload them.

Be extra careful when working in the kitchen

red fire extinguisher on a green wall to prevent in-home fire hazards
It is wise to have a fire extinguisher installed in the kitchen and work areas

Mishaps while cooking are the most common in-home fire hazards. Stovetops cause more fires than ovens, so always stay in the kitchen when cooking, or grilling on your stovetop for extended periods. If you turn up the heat too high and leave the kitchen for two minutes to check on something, you may come back to more heat than you bargained for. Considering this, make sure there are no paper towels, oven mitts, or curtains too close to the stove. It’s wise to have a small fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case things go sour. As an extra precaution, install smoke detectors in critical areas such as kitchens, and living rooms with fireplaces.

Latest Posts