How to declutter keepsakes and memorabilia
Decluttering Tips - August 31, 2019
Are you tired of all the keepsakes and memorabilia that you need to sort out? Whether you are getting ready for the move or decluttering your home, it’s always a good time to sort out and get rid of some unnecessary items. If you don’t know how to organize and save time while cleaning your home, keep reading. This guide will help you declutter keepsakes and memorabilia in no time.
Sort out your belongings
One of the reasons you should declutter keepsakes and memorabilia is that you can reduce moving expenses in case you plan to move. While some jewelry, old photos and other items might be valuable to you, there are always some that you don’t have any use for. If this is the case, you should consider sorting them out, and there’s a good reason for this. First of all, you might get more space in your home if you clear out your storage space. Secondly, in case you are going through a breakup or divorce, this will help you move on. If you declutter keepsakes and memorabilia, you will find it easier to start a new life.
The first thing you should do when sorting out your belongings is to make a few categories. For example, you can make a pile of things to sell in a yard sale, donate, give away or throw away. By sorting out your memorabilia this way, you will make sure not to lose valuable items. Moreover, you will have easier access to the items you hold dear.
How to declutter keepsakes and memorabilia?
Since memorable and valuable things are not all the same size and shape, it’s always a good idea to organize them accordingly. Here are some suggestions on how you can declutter keepsakes and memorabilia and sort them out.
- Old photos and photo albums. These are the most important keepsakes for many people. The best way of sorting your old photos is by keeping them in some nice albums. In case you want to print and save some of on your computer, this will be a great opportunity for doing something fun.
- Jewelry and accessories. If you are a woman with too many jewelry pieces, what you should do is choose the pieces you use most often. Most people keep accessories they don’t use at home. However, these will only make a mess in your storage boxes.
- Diplomas, awards… Since these are the items you should keep forever, you should make a separate folder. Make sure to empty a drawer just for these items.
- Valuable documents. Paperwork like marriage certificates and your first home contract should be kept in save place.
- Childhood memorabilia. Out of all the important items you should declutter, these are the items you should make sure to keep. After all, your children can use them.
- Old clothes. Make sure to separate the clothes that are old and don’t fit and get rid of them.
Don’t forget to clear out space
If you decide to declutter keepsakes and memorabilia, that action should help you more space in your home. However, keeping old things and items can sometimes make a mess and gather lots of dirt and dust. If you are getting ready for the move, you should consider clearing out your room. Moreover, there are some junk removal services you can call for help. If you want to get rid of keepsakes and memorabilia which are too big in size, you should consider calling junk removal experts.
After clearing out your home from old things, make sure to organize the remaining ones and clean your home.
What to do with leftover materials and keepsakes?
After you declutter keepsakes and memorabilia, there might be some leftover materials and accessories. However, you don’t need to toss them all away. For example, what you can do is sell jewelry online or use some of them to make art. Old photos, frames and accessories can be great for making home decorations or presents to your loved ones. All you need is some skills, free time, and possibly an online tutorial.
Get your keepsakes ready for the move!
There is another reason why you should declutter keepsakes and memorabilia. In case you are getting ready for the move, decluttering should be a big part of your packing process. Moreover, there are ways you can get ready for your moving day in just a few days. By organizing your belongings, you will make sure to save money on extra moving boxes. After all, there are always some movers Auburn MA who can help you pack and get ready for the move.
To sum it all up, there are many good reasons to declutter keepsakes and memorabilia. Making more room in your home, getting rid of bad memories or getting ready for the move – those can all be a good reason. No matter which reason you choose, keep in mind that not every item you keep at home is necessary. Keep your home clutter-free and you will save your time on cleaning and organizing it. In case you are moving into a new home, this can be a perfect opportunity to get ready for the packing process. All in all, keepsakes and memorabilia are usually items we choose to keep but never decide to toss away. Make sure to sort them out so your home gets a makeover and becomes more spacious.